Sunday, February 27, 2011

NYC Restaurant Review - The Darby

Welcome back foodies! Last night I had a spectacular meal at Alex Guarnaschelli's restaurant, The Darby. The whole place had such a genius conception. Read on to hear about my experience.

The Darby             246 West 14th St., New York, NY 10011

The Darby is more than just a restaurant, it is a food experience. The whole feel takes you to a different place. The band, who was really good, played music in the background to compliment every bite of food. To start off, the bread was spectacular. They serve probably the best brioche you will ever have. It also comes with a peppercorn butter that is out of this world. Anyway, we ordered two appetizers to share and both did not disappoint. The veal bacon was incredible. It had some homemade mustard that just added another delicious depth of flavor to the dish. The other dish we ordered was the soup of the day and the soup for that day was a sunchoke (Sunchoke- also known as a Jerusalem artichoke; is a vegetable grown underground that is a similar cross between a potato, water chestnut, and a rutabaga; is not grown in Jerusalem and is not a type of artichoke) soup that was outrageous. Moving to entrees my favorite dish was the homemade ricotta ravioli's. Everything about it was so good. Another dish I liked was the flattened chicken breast that came on a bed of broccoli rabe and with some mustard on top. The chicken was moist and everything went together. My third favorite dish was the salmon with was cooked really well and came with delicious sunchokes and an acidic lemon type sauce that tied the whole dish together. My least favorite dish was the branzino which was cooked well but the whole dish just didn't do it for me. We also order a few sides that were very good. In my opinion, the best was the potatoes that were hollowed out before being cooked. It was crispy and the flavors were incredible. Another side dish that I enjoyed was the beats. The beats were just really refreshing and very tasty. My third favorite side was the onion rings. They were really good. My least favorite is the only side dish I wouldn't order again which is the three cheese macaroni. It just was heavy and was just okay.  For dessert everything was very good but nothing stood out during dessert. My favorite was the apple brown betty. It had that warm feeling. My second favorite would be the Baked Alaska. My third favorite was the cake of the day. When the Foodie Finders NYC crew and I went, the cake of the day was a white chocolate cake with pistachio and raspberry jam. My least favorite would be the sundae. It was just typical although it did come with some cool toppings like homemade marshmallows, toasted almonds, great whip cream and a few more. The server we got was great and very friendly. Everything was just incredible. Definitely recommend to give this place a try.

  • Amazing service
  • Decor was nice
  • Food was really good
  • A little pricey but worth it

So that is my review of The Darby. Check back for more reviews of great restaurants in New York City and Long Island. Bon Apetit!

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here!