Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Foodie Finders NYC on the road to Las Vegas: Day 5

Hello foodies! Today I am going to tell you guys about my fifth and final day in Las Vegas. I am so glad to share more great restaurants. I also met Hubert Keller which was so cool.

For lunch the Foodie Finders NYC crew had to go back to Burger Bar because it was so good. While we were there I asked our waiter if Hubert Keller was in (even though I asked 3 days before at Fleur and they said he wasn't in, I gave it a shot), and the waiter said he was here about an hour ago and he just left. I was a little disappointed that we just missed him but then I said would he happen to be at Fleur (which was his restaurant too and minutes away in the same hotel). The waiter said you could try so I headed over there. I asked the host if Chef Keller was in and she said that she will go get him. I was very excited to meet him. Hubert came out and was very nice. We spoke outside and then gave us a tour of the kitchen. Hubert had recently changed his restaurant to a tapas, or small plate restaurant. I asked Hubert why he changed the restaurant and he said back when it was Fleur d' Lys people would sit at the bar and Hubert and his staff would make these little small dishes for them. Those small plates they had created caught on. None of these dishes were actually on the menu. People who were actually in the dining room and asked for the dishes that were served at the bar. The bar and the little lounge was packed all the time and Hubert felt it was logical to make his whole restaurant tapas. That is what he did and it closed back in September and reopened this past December. Anyway, we went into the kitchen and it was so organized and clean. There was a window in the kitchen and Hubert told us how he fought to have this window put in so some sunlight would come into the kitchen. Hubert was very enthusiastic and passionate about what he did which really showed. He showed us all these little gadgets and stories. If you go to Fleur and order the Maple Glazed Pork Ribs which are smoked to order, (which doesn't only taste good but the presentation is beautiful) the process is very cool. He showed us how he does it. He seemed very proud of his work which he should be. His passion for food showed very much but even if you don't get to meet him his passion will show through the food, trust me.

So afterwords, for dinner, we went to Wolfgang Puck's Spago which was delicious. Here is my review.


Spago     3500 Las Vegas Boulevard South, Las Vegas, NV 89109 (The Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace) 

Spago is definitely one to consider when eating out in Las Vegas. The decor was very nice. There was "outdoor" seating if you consider the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace outside. The service was good too and the food was delicious. I enjoyed the bread that they served with their herb infused olive oil. The meatloaf I thought was good but way to salty and very heavy. On the other hand I did like the barbecue chicken pizza and the bolognese. I really recommend Spago.

  • Good service
  • Nice decor 
  • Great Food


And that concludes my foodie vacation to Las Vegas. I hope you guys find this information useful. Remember New York City restaurant week is going now. More on that in my next post. Bon Apetit!

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here!