Saturday, July 16, 2011

NYC Restaurant Review - Neely's Barbecue Parlor

Welcome back foodies! On Wednesday I went to the Neely's Barbecue Parlor which was the restaurant's first day opened to the public. The food was very good but I was shocked and slightly disappointed that Pat and Gina Neely were not at their restaurant for opening day.

Neely's Barbecue Parlor         1125 First Ave. New York, NY 10065

(Dinner)

Overall, Neely's Barbecue Parlor is a very good restaurant. The food was very good. My favorite appetizer was the Fried Green Tomatoes. They came with an onion relish and all the flavors and textures worked so well together. I also liked the Candied Thick Cut Slab Bacon. This bacon had so much flavor and had an amazing spice blend. My favorite entree was the Pork Sampler Platter. On that platter my favorite was the Spare Ribs. The flavors were incredible and very smokey which I loved. Also on the platter was the Pulled Pork and the Baby Back Ribs. I liked the Pulled Pork better but both had a very one note flavor profile. Another delicious entree was the Texas Style "12 hr" Smoked Beef Brisket. The brisket was so smokey and flavorful. I also liked the KC Style "Sweet & Sticky Ribs. These ribs were fun and messy in a good way. I liked this dish a lot. My favorite side dish was the Spicy Pinto Beans With Burnt Ends. It wasn't very spicy at all but I still liked the taste. I also tremendously enjoyed the Molasses Baked Beans. It tasted delicious and had a mild sweetness to it. One more good dish was the Cole Slaw. It was very refreshing and tasted good but it wasn't the best Cole Slaw ever. For dessert the best dish was the Red Velvet Cake. This was probably the BEST Red Velvet Cake I have ever had. The cake was so moist and the cream cheese frosting was delicious. One person that was with me hates all cheese which includes cream cheese. The cake was so good, she ate all around the cream cheese even though the cake was touching the cream cheese. The portion was also pretty nice. The funny part was that I was never going to order the Red Velvet Cake but then one of the managers came over with the heavenly cake and asked if we wanted it since he had an extra. Of course we said yes cause it's free! And that is how I stumbled across the best Red Velvet Cake ever. Another good dessert was the Pecan Pie a la Mode. It was nothing special but tasted good. One more dessert that I tried was the Mississippi Mud Pie. It was too rich for me so it was probably my least favorite dessert. I truly liked the Neely's Barbecue Parlor and I definitely plan on returning to the restaurant.

  • Food was delicious
  • Great Spare Ribs
  • Best Red Velvet Cake ever!
  • Service was friendly but a little slow (Then again it was their first night and everything ran fairly smooth besides the fact that the drinks took forever to come)

That is my review of the Neely's Barbecue Parlor. I can't wait to go back. Check back very soon for more restaurant reviews ( I just went to Aureole yesterday, for Restaurant Week, and it was DELICIOUS). Bon Appetit!

-Mike 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here!