Saturday, July 23, 2011

NYC Restaurant Review - The Modern - Bar Room

Welcome foodies! Two days ago I went to Danny Meyer's restaurant, The Modern, for dinner. The meal was amazing. Check out my review below!


The Modern - Bar Room        9 West 53rd Street, New York, NY 10019

(Dinner - Summer Restaurant Week 2011)

The Modern was incredible.  I am already planning my return the restaurant. I ate off the Restaurant Week menu. For the first course, my favorite dish was the Braised Tripe (Tripe is most commonly known as the lining of a cows stomach). This dish was outstanding and unique. It came with chickpeas and harissa aioli spread on a little slice of toast. The chickpeas added a different texture and taste to the dish. I absolutely loved it all. My second favorite dish was the Wild Mushroom Soup with a toasted chorizo ravioli. The soup was very good but what truly made the dish incredible was the toasted chorizo ravioli. It was full of flavor and when dipped in the mushroom soup it is even better. Another dish that I enjoyed was the Spicy Steak Tartare with a quail egg an toast. It tasted delicious and I enjoyed the softness of the steak tartare and the crunch from the toast. One more dish which I thought was very good would be the Upside Down Tuna Tarte. This dish was basically a tuna tartare with fennel, Japanese cucumber, and aioli. My least favorite dish was the Alsatian Country Soup. It was cooked with Benton's ham which gave the soup a very hammy taste. I liked it but out of all the other dishes I tried it didn't compare. For the second course my favorite dish was the Duck Confit a l'Orange. The duck was delicious and it came with cauliflower and fingerling potatoes that were scrumptious. A very close second to this dish would be the Beer Braised Pork Belly with sweet pea puree and a ginger jus. This dish was incredible the pork belly was very tasty and the ginger jus cut through some of the fat which gave the dish a perfect balance. Plus the sweet pea puree was delicious.  My third favorite dish was the Homemade Alsatian Country Sausage. This dish was based off the chefs family recipes. It came with an amazing whole grain mustard sauce and delicious sauerkraut. I also liked the Maine Lobster Pappardelle au Poivre. This also had spinach and tomatoes in it. The lobster was very fresh and I thought it was very good. Another dish that I enjoyed was the Scottish Salmon with a horseradish crust. The salmon was not too fishy and went great with the cabbage and Riesling. For dessert, my favorite dish was the Dark Chocolate Tart. It was so delicious. It had a strong and decadent chocolate flavor and had a very smooth texture with a little crunch on the top. I could of definitely had a second slice of this tart. Another spectacular dish was the Coffee Caramel Dome. This little dome left a huge flavor impact. It came with vanilla ice cream and an amaretto gelee. My third favorite dessert was the Modern Cheesecake. It came with  an almond crumble, raspberry and fromage blanc sorbets. The cheesecake itself was delicious and the almond crumbles plus the sorbet was a bonus. This was seriously good. One more dessert that was quite refreshing, bright and scrumptious, was the Citrus Carpaccio. It was sliced orange and grape fruit with a sugar and lime mixture, lemongrass gelee, and a green apple basil sorbet. When it all combines, the flavor's mesh to create a great dessert especially on a hot day. The service was impeccable and the decor was very modern and beautiful (what else do you expect). I will definitely be back at The Modern and hopefully in the near future.

  • Service was fantastic, the waitress knew exactly what she was doing, had great recommendations, and was always checking on the table and on the ball
  • Decor was beautiful
  • Food was perfect
  • INCREDIBLE Braised Tripe. It is a must get!
  • Dark Chocolate Tart is delicious and be warned, you will be dreaming about it for days


This meal was incredible. Check back very soon for more restaurant reviews and a few more events going on in New York City. Bon Appetit!

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts here!